Campus Dining with Allergies
For students with a food allergy or intolerance purchasing Dining Plans at WVU, Dining Services will gladly make every effort to accommodate their dietary needs with a variety of fresh and nutritious alternatives.
Dining Services has outlined the following policies for students with allergies to ensure a healthy and safe dining experience during their time at WVU:
- Students with allergies will be served a variety of nutritious and balanced dishes.
- Students with allergies will have equal access to allergen-free dining at all four of WVU’s Residence Dining Centers.
- All Dining Services staff, full time and part time (including student workers) must be trained to handle and prepare food for students with allergies. This training is routinely updated to ensure compliance and safety standards are met at all times for all of our customers with food allergies.
- Our on-staff dietitian will meet with every student individually to ensure their unique allergy needs have been documented and shared with our kitchen managers. Our on-staff dietitian will also work with the student to create an all-encompassing plan to dining on campus, including daily meals, snacking, and a balanced diet.
- Students with allergies using a Dining Plan will receive an equal value dining experience as students without allergies. Therefore, no discounts or reimbursements for Dining Plans will be offered.
To aid our efforts in this process, and to gain access to these benefits, we request that students with allergies take the following measures:
1) Contact our Dietitian, Cami McMillen-Haught, using the form on the right, by phone
at 304.293.4053, or by email at
email@example.com to schedule a one-on-one meeting.
2) Provide a doctor’s note outlining the nature of the student's allergies.
Failure to do these two things relieves Dining Services of any responsibility or liability related to any allergy-related injury or illness incurred by the student while dining in our facilities.
At this time, we have found this personal approach for students with food allergies to be the best way to ensure students receive a variety of nutritious and fresh dishes. Our chefs make sure that students with allergies receive the same quality dining experience as their peers. Feel free to contact our on-staff dietitian Cami McMillen-Haught with any questions regarding our policies or procedures on this subject.